In PNG today (Portable Network Graphics) is one of the most popular raster formats in Web graphics. In 1995, at a conference Usenet was asked to develop an alternative to the then popular format GIF, a license is required to use it. The main task was to create a new format is more flexible and free from patents. So there was a PNG, which unofficially stands for “PNG IS NOT A GIF”.
in brief format, we have already mentioned in this
article , now examine the pros and cons of the format in more detail:
The advantages and disadvantages.
– minimum loss during compression. The image quality does not change under any compression;
– handy for storing intermediate versions of the image. When Overstore no quality is lost;
– supports a large number of colors. PNG-8 (256 colors) and PNG-24 (about 16.7 million colors.);
– support multilevel transparency. Use the method that is called an alpha channel. In the image there are 256 levels of opacity from fully opaque to fully transparent;
– to work with layers;
– the ability to add the date in the meta-file (if necessary secure the copyright);
– small file sizes <. / p>
– no support for animation;
– is ill-suited for use with full-color images;
– can not store multiple images in one file;
It becomes clear what caused .png format popular among web designers.
This is the only format that allows you to obtain images with a transparent background. For example, it is very important when creating logos – they often require the presence of a transparent background.
Where to use?
In addition to the logo, this format is used when creating the elements of navigation pages, engravings, lithographs, texts, drawings, images with sharp edges. In short, wherever necessary transparency, good compression, the details and clear picture border.
In the next articles we will look at features and .svg vector format .pdf